How to get a haircut?
It seems that men have a lot of problems when it comes to getting the right haircut. Well, here are some essential tips:
1. Go to a good hairstylist once in a while. One that understands your hair, your head, techniques, trends and knows how to make a haircut that suits you. There is a big difference between a hairstylist and a hairdresser.
2. If you go to get a haircut, make sure you are prepared. Check out photos of haircuts you like, try to figure out which style you like. Hey, it’s ok to bring photos to the salon, you won’t look silly. But it might be that the haircut you show is not possible with your hair or head.
3. Meet the person who is going to cut your hair with dry hair. It’s a common mistake that you won’t meet that person until you already have your hair washed by an assistant. Wet hair is totally different than dry hair, the curls can be different, the colour is different and it is a lot heavier than dry hair.
4. Explain what you want but be precise. Discuss with your stylist what you mean. It’s also very common that you say one thing but you mean something else, just because you don’t know the right word for it. If you and the stylist/hairdresser are absolutely sure that you both have the same thing in mind, things probably will go well.
5. There’s no such thing as a round head or a square head. Your head is divided in several areas that all have influence on your haircut. A good hairdresser or stylist should see this.
6. Get some good advice on products. Don’t use the dirty greasy stuff. Your hair needs to get some oxygen, otherwise you will go bald sooner than you expected.
7. If you go bald you should consider getting a really short haircut. Please don’t do a comb-over. That looks totally pathetic, I’m sorry.
Special thanks to my dear stylist Danny @Rob Peetoom Elandsgracht, she has been cutting my hair for many years now!