How to do things the stylish way
Being the cool and stylish gentleman you are, there are many things you do in a stylish manner. Here are a couple of things I’ve written about in the past but are still very much up-to-date.
How to pack a suitcase
- The heavy things like books and shoes you pack first, at the bottom of your suitcase.
- After that you pack the hardware, toilet items and underwear.
- Pack your shoes in shoebags. Wear the most heavy ones during your trip (on an airplane), this saves you a lot of carrying and kilos in your suitcase.
- Fold your clothing neatly, to save space.
- Your shirts must be folded loosely and you need to put them very gently in your suitcase (on top of everything else, to prevent re-ironing).
- A suit or jacket is best to be put in a separate bag (for suits). If you choose to pack it in your suitcase, turn the jacket inside-out to make sure it doesn’t wrinkle.
How to blow your nose
- Blowing one’s nose is always done discretely and without making any noise.
- Never blow your nose at the (dinner)table, excuse yourself and retire to the bathroom. Or at least out of reach of your table mates.
- Use paper tissues and dispose of them after use. For hygienic purposes. Don’t ever use a handkerchief.
- Do not pick your nose in front of others and don’t look at the produce after you have blown your nose. Gross…
- First blow one nostril and then the other one, it’s more effective and healthier. Ask the doctor.
How to use public transport
- Find a good spot, don’t just sit next to someone when there’s plenty of space somewhere else. People need their space.
- Make sure you have a valid ticket. Using public transport without a ticket is really sad.
- Shut up. Don’t talk loudly, don’t make loud phonecalls or listen to loud music. Back in the days everyone on the train was quiet as well. If you need to talk to someone on the phone do it briefly, quietly and ask if it’s ok to call back later. People will appreciate this.
- Don’t put your feet on the bench or chair, save that for home. Don’t do that at home as well, by the way.
- Refrain from eating or drinking. No hamburgers, fries or other food that stinks like hell. If you have trash to dispose of, keep it until you see a wastebin.
- Make place for the elderly and disabled people and do not hang around the exit or entrance.
- People must exit the vehicle or train before you enter.